Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Subic Day: Zoobic Safari

Everyone gathered in Arthur’s grandpa’s place in the morning for breakfast before leaving for Subic. It was an approximately 2 hour’s drive from Chinatown. We were entertained by Arthur’s singing all the way. We got to listen to different genres from oldies to kindy songs and ABCs to scouting songs. He does it like it’s nobody’s business, and nobody cares as well. I guess we’re all familiar with each other haha.

Along the way you could see a lot of SMART banners. It was practically everywhere. Everyone was their supporters. The banner was used as a shield, a curtain, a drape to cover stalls, gates; it was practically used everywhere for everything.

Our first stop was Zoobic. I don’t know what was wrong with me but I couldn’t figure out why they called the safari Zoobic and not Soobic until I got there. Stupid right? It’s a zoo hence ‘zoobic’ DUH.


He looks cool doesn’t he? Try walking nearer and he’ll give you a good snarl.


This one gave me a loud snarl too before ignoring me. Yea, yea, whatever.

Unfriendly tigers!


Lazy pigs.

But when the handler came with food all three of them instantly woke up, wagged their tails, and the fat one behind carried up his bowl with his mouth.


Piggy soccer.

Our guide Apple (it’s a must that we remember her name. Apple, I still remember your name!) took us around the petting zoo where many of the animals are free to roam around and mingle with us. I just realized I went to a petting zoo. So that’s a petting zoo huh?


Hungry camels which resorted to eating the tree.


Peeing bear.

After the petting zoo we took a…uh…truck-like caged vehicle and went to where the tigers roam freely! Oh! Excitement! From what I read, the person is going to throw the chicken meat over the truck and the tiger will jump over to catch it. I took the seat I thought was the best – next to the driver, by the window. But guess what?



You guys again. Yawn. How come you can never have enough of me!?

The tigers have probably been fed so many times they couldn’t care much anymore. Look at him. He doesn’t care whether you let him have the chicken or not. Lazy bum!


Excuse me, but this chicken is not fresh. What do you think I am? Second class?

After the disappointing tiger encounter everyone got into their own vehicles and went to other parts of the safari where we saw:

The Aetas doing their dances.


I call this the standing push ups. There’s Apple on the right and Philippines’ Next Top Aetas leaning on the tree.


Then the second dance is one where he tries to scare you and then he runs up a tree.


In the last one, they fight each other.


From left: Josh, Lester, Arthur, me, Lee Phei, Steven, Mr. Treeman, Mr. Next Top Aetas, and Mr. Push ups

I bought a whistle that was supposed to give out sounds of chirping birds when blown but when I tried it at home, it just gave a single tone. Cheated!

Our journey continued with the Hip Hop Bay Walk.



And I thought it was a performers dancing to hip hop songs thing :/ Looks easy but it’s not so.

After that we went to Croco Loco where you get to feed the crocodiles with chickens hanging from a stick, of course, with a fee.


If you can find the chicken meat, I’ll give you a chicken :P Hint: You can never find it.


You want a piece of me?

We also went to the Serpentarium, the Bone Museum, and had another encounter with tigers. After everything, we settled at its Buho restaurant for lunch. I had my first sisig dish there. It was really nice! Of course, when I knew it was pig’s ear it was already too late. But what the hell, it was good.

Entrance fee: P395 inclusive of everything I mentioned except the lunch, of course.

4 comments:

joyfulchicken said...

Wow, you have a tiger video! Can I steal it? :-D

CCCHNG said...

Sure, I grant you the permission to steal it. What are you going to do with it anyway?

juliana said...

this is my favourite post! zoobic. cool.

CCCHNG said...

Yay!! I got a star!