Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Day 5: First stop: Cubao

The last day was dedicated to shopping malls alone. Arthur’s sister, Ann, showed us to Gateway and Farmer’s Plaza before she left for work. There were a lot of stalls selling bags and shoes in Farmer’s. I even saw shoes I liked but you know, girls, they have to look around some more, and end up regretting not buying it, which I did.

Over at the bags’ stalls, my friend pointed at a particular bag with prints which said ‘I'm not a plastic bag’. She was saying that it’s a hit in Hong Kong or something.

[pic source]


Of course we were conversing in our Penang hokkien and that must have given an impression that we were not locals.

“How much?” we asked the girl.

“Er…er…uh…P350,” she said after hesitating for a while.

Overpriced? Definitely. A while later when we crossed the street to Isetann – which I first thought was the Japanese Isetan – we saw the same bag for only a little over P200. Blood sucking mosquito!! After that we decided not to talk anymore if a sales girl is present.


The place mistaken for Isetan. Pretty obvious because the logo is different, but it was able to dupe my slow unsuspecting mind.


The real Isetan logo


Anyway, if you go to Isetann and you see the cheap wallets displayed just in front of the escalator, don’t buy them. Your cards will not be able to fit in the compartments because they’re way too small.

Farmer’s was a lot more fun compared to Gateway because there really isn’t anything in Gateway. What’s in Gateway is a P10 per entry washroom. (Oh you know, people call it comfort room over there. Or maybe it’s just Arthur) My friend wanted to go to the WC and I was just tagging along when a girl standing at the entrance stopped us and asked us to pay at the ‘pay station’.

“P10,” the girl at the pay station said.

Again, my slow mind happily obliged and I was given a ticket which was quickly snatched away by the first girl.

Right about then, I came to my consciousness and realized how stupid I was. I was just tagging along! It’s not like I need to pee. And I didn’t even get to keep the stupid ticket.

Since we’re already in there I thought I might as well do the big business. But you know, when you want it to come, it just won’t. Oh well. P10 just to wash my hands.

After that we went back to Farmer’s where we ate the Jollibee chicken burger. They’re really nice! So far the best fast food chicken burger I’ve had. I really should sell those chicken burgers here. McD will be begging me to stop. Haha!

4 comments:

philos said...

Hmm... what made you say that the second one is the real Isetann? The first one has been around for as long as I can remember, and they even have a couple of branches near where you stayed.

CCCHNG said...

Maybe because Isetan is more well known? We have it in KL as well. And according to its homepage it has been around for 120 years.

Anonymous said...

Hehe... then it's probably true. I wouldn't have known we had that type of Isetan if not for this post though.

CCCHNG said...

Yay! I contributed to your pool of knowledge! (although it's of not much use :P)