Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Second Day: Are we still in Chinatown?

Hmm…I’m not sure. But somewhere along the journey, we saw this weird lady in a robe.


Superwoman? Oh wait, it would have to be a cape if she’s one.

We walked through the market. In Penang when we had our townwalks, people were asking us to take pictures of them. But it only happened once here though, if at all (that’s also if I remember correctly)

Markets are so colourful.


Pretty women, walking down the street. Sexy women, sitting by the street.

We’re no longer in the market, if you wanna know.

I wonder if this is nice.

We took the horse carriage after that to Arthur’s mom’s place. My feet were starting to hurt already because of the stupid shoe. They gave me blue black toes. Cursed shoes. Sheesh.


Notice the shop with the name Mercury Drug in the background? You can find it in every corner.

They’re like mushrooms growing after a rain. Philippines’ main pharmacy. Can I say they monopolize the pharmaceutical industry like how SM monopolize the shopping malls? I think they even beat SM to that. They’re practically everywhere!

Then we went to a place where we got Hopia (the popular one is Ube flavour, or yam. The boss has a yam farm or something?). <- Ok, again, please refer to Arthur's comment :P


If you look at the picture, on the right is a purple fire engine, purple because yam is purple and yam because the Hopia boss sponsored it? Something like that :P


Looks like something you’d only see in cartoons, eh?

Oh nowww we’re in Chinatown.

In Chinatown, they try to make everything Chinese. Jollibee became ‘kuai le pang’. Funny isn’t it?


I regret not being able to go see the statue of Mary where people pray to ala Chinese style with joss sticks and all. How can I forget!!?

9 comments:

joyfulchicken said...

Did you step on any horse poop? That's one of the many reasons why I hate downtown Manila.

CCCHNG said...

Nope. I didn't even see any horse poop :)

philos said...

Yep, downtown Manila is a clean place :p Anyhow the purple fire truck aka the Ube Tanker is colored yellow because the owner of the shop Eng Bee Tin donated it. His preference for the color of yam and yam was brought about by the increase in sales of his then struggling hopia business when they introduced that particular flavor. Apparently, Filipinos find yam yummy.

As for the fried sweet potatoes and bananas, they are really good hehe... too bad you didn't ask me about those when you were here.

philos said...

Oh, and someone did want you to take their picture, but it was soon after breakfast hehe...

CCCHNG said...

Oh yea! I remember now. It was some uncle by the street right? he was speaking to us in tagalog.

Oh Eng Bee Tin is his name? That's the name I saw on the hopia pack. I thought it's a brand name. Or maybe it is. Whoever said we can't use our name as a brand name right :P

philos said...

Nope, not his name, Eng Bee Tin is the name of the shop, the owner's name is Gerry Chua. Here's a link to their story

CCCHNG said...

You know everything...:P

juliana said...

Pray to Mary with joss sticks? aren't joss sticks devil and all? =P

CCCHNG said...

That's what makes it special! But I think Catholics don't mind holding joss sticks over in our place. But pray to Mary with one? Argh!!! Why did I miss it?!