Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Singapore: Chinatown escapade (right...)

Today’s my first time traveling as a tourist alone. I’ve always wondered how those lone backpackers feel when they walk in a foreign land. And…unfortunately, I still don’t quite know. That’s coz it was raining the whole day! I took a bus to the nearest shopping mall (for some reason my cousin kept telling me to go there, so I went) and after getting a sim card I immediately went to the bus stop. And I thought the buses are systematic. There’s a board that shows you the time the next bus will arrive but surprisingly the time can change. Sometimes it’s just stuck there. Oh well. At least you know it’s coming soon and not hours away.

While waiting, the rain started to pour. It started with a drizzle but soon, water was flowing in onto the bus stop grounds. I took the bus to Chinatown and when I got there something like an hour later, it was still drizzling. Great. There goes my afternoon walk around Chinatown and up Ann Siang Hill Park. For the rest of my 2 hours as a lone tourist, I was in McD eating its expensive fries (S$ 2.15 for a medium fries) and making plans for the rest of my days here. I now have tour packages set out haha. So much for my trip.

My cousin came to find me after that and we went for dinner at Central and took a walk along Clarke Quay.



I like the creativeness of that place. Oh I like it. I simply love the creativity of the restaurants and bars there. That’s like what I wanna do if I own a shop. I love it.

Check this one out. It’s called Clinic and the settings are made to look like a hospital. How cool is that?


The pictures are incredibly blurred. I refused to use flash because the picture would lose its night feel but a blur image doesn’t give much feel either huh? I’m itching to go back there. Maybe I’ll go during the day and get a better picture. I didn’t check the menu but if it’s not too expensive, I’m definitely gonna register there as a patient :)



This is one cool store selling puppets (If I’m not wrong)

Later we walked to Boat Quay and at its end we reached the business district (well, which part of Singapore isn’t? Ok, ok, I’m just exaggerating) I saw this statue.


My cousin told me to be careful coz it will pee on you if you get too close and I totally believed her. I even considered walking closer. Then she said, “Go over there to take the picture of the bird. But be careful not to go too near. It will poop.”

That’s when I realized she was pulling my leg. Damn. She even asked if it pooped. But hey, the peeing statue, it’d be cool right?


Constipated bird.

Finally, a little treat. My cousin let me try this little cookie in what looks like a pantyliner pack :P


It sure doesn’t taste like a pantyliner (god knows how a pantyliner tastes like, I don’t even wanna know), instead it tasted like heaven (Ok fine, so I like to exaggerate. Sue me). I think she bought it in Japan and one box containing only 12 pieces costs S$10. Swallow that.

P.S.: I didn't even finish the Vietnam post yet and here I am talking about Singapore. The Vietnam photos are in my laptop; when I can go online with it, I'll blog. Too lazy to ask for my cuz's password. And maybe I need to install things too. Nevermind. In the meantime I'm using my cuz's com. Her com is in the room I'm sleeping in. Thank god!!!

2 comments:

joyfulchicken said...

Heh, pantyliner :-D

The clinic restaurant looks interesting, but can it beat Taipei's Toilet Diner?

runawaycat said...

Oh we have that in Penang too. Somehow the toilet diner isn't as creative. This Clinic even have the operation theater lights as its lights.